Friday, May 7, 2010

Mustard on your shorts how to get it out

OK, the fabric doctor is up.

My son, Peter, was fixing lunch for his two boys this afternoon and he got some mustard on his cotton khaki shorts. this is one of the hardest stains to remove from any fabric but it can be done on cotton. Don't attempt this fix on silk or wool or any blends with these fibers in them.

I am assumming that you have tried to remove the stain by washing or sending it to the dyrcleaner before you got to this point but don't be discouraged, the stain won't "set". Most people don't know that mustard is hard to remove unless you've done it before.

The first thing to do is put an old towel under the stain to stop the ammonia and peroxid from spreading all over the table or counter. Use some really cheap ammonia one without any additives like smell enhancers, just plain old ammonia. Cover the stain with ammonia (use an eye dropper or a straw with your finger over the end rather than pouring it straight from the bottle because you might pour out a lot and it stinks) and then add a couple of drops of peroxide (Ordinary 3% in the brown bottle from the pharmacy) to the stain, then heat it up. This is the hard part. you can sit it in the sun for a few hours or use the steam from a steam iron holding it over the stain (don't put the iron on the stain just use the steam) and you will see it disappear.
This is a trick from an old dry cleaner, me. My kids are always asking me to teach them how to do some of the things I learned to do as a dry cleaner and having spent some fifty years in that business I hope i can divulge some of these secrets.

4 comments:

Peter said...

Thanks again - this tip saved a pair of shorts and a shirt today!

I'm so glad you are doing this blog. You truly are the fabric doctor! I can't tell you how many people ask me questions about spots on clothes simply because they know that my dad is an expert.

Truth is, that I don't know half of all your good clothes tips. I'm looking forward to learning more from the wealth of information you have to offer.

Tammy said...

So glad to read this Dad I didn't remember the HEAT part! I am so glad that you are doing this I will definately get the word out!

Alicia said...

Sweet! Stains are one of my worst problems in housekeeping. Heather sent me this way and I'm excited to find out all the secrets. So how do you get out permanent marker out of cotton clothes?? Is it too late if it has already been dried in the dryer? Thanks so much!

Emily said...

Yea! Share the wealth. SWEET.